SPANISH ART SONG WORKSHOP
Performance practice, style and history of Spanish art song
Tuesday, DATE TBA, 7:00-9:00 pm
Upper West Side, New York, NY
Suggested Donation: $30*
The deadline for requesting to attend is TBD.
You may submit your request by clicking here.
Come explore the wonderful world of Spanish art song with us! Perform, gain in-depth knowledge of this genre and enjoy listening to the exquisitely beautiful music of Spain.
What is it about Spanish music that lets you know instantly that what you’re hearing is Spanish? The Flavor of Spain™ series explores the exotic cultural influences that create that unique sound. Deep in the lush, passionate and thrilling sound of this music are influences of the Moorish, Greek, Turkish, Italian, French, Sephardic and Flamenco cultures, and you will learn how these elements unite to produce this exquisite music.
The purpose of THE SPANISH ART SONG WORKSHOP™ is to create a space for sharing our love of this beautiful genre, as well as to gain musical ideas and important information that deepen your experience of these songs. It presents a journey of discovery through:
- a PowerPoint audio-visual presentation of the history and performance practice of Spanish art song – this will greatly facilitate your ability to perform the music authentically;
- a live demonstration and discussion of these aspects which will enable you to apply them to your own music;
- live music by workshop members;
- an opportunity for coaching of your Spanish art songs, if desired (though not required), by a coach/accompanist with a unique blend of coaching skills who is a master of this genre (the coaching cost is included in the $30 workshop fee, a bargain you will not find elsewhere); and
- an opportunity for lively discussion and sharing of information by workshop participants about this rich genre and its primary composers.
You will leave the workshop with an understanding of how this unique sound came into being, as well as a deep appreciation for the beauty of the Spanish language in song. In addition, you will have an organic feel for the authentic sound and performance of the Spanish songs you sing and an enhanced ability to access their hidden beauty.
This workshop is a combined offering of The Flavor of Spain™ and The Music Salon™. Although the workshop is a part of The Music Salon, the requirements will be a little different from the Salon’s.
- If you are a singer, I encourage you to come and perform a Spanish art song or two. Please do not worry if you are not familiar with, or accomplished at, performing this genre; you will gain facility with this genre through the workshop.
- If you have developed a specialty in Spanish art song and are already knowledgeable about performance practice of this genre, please join us to share your songs, with a masterful accompanist who can sight read whatever you bring with authentic Spanish flair. Even the experienced will learn something from this workshop, and we would love to have your musical contribution.
- Unlike The Music Salon™, auditing will be allowed in this workshop. If you are a singer, pianist or guitarist who has a keen interest in Spanish art song, you may attend without performing at the same cost. However, I strongly encourage you to perform at least one song!
|Elena Greco. Elena Greco’s primary creative focus is producing multimedia projects that entertain, educate and enliven, and on facilitating groups that simultaneously educate and heal. A specialist in this unique genre, she has researched Spanish art song in depth, has mastered the nuances and characteristics of Spanish style, and wants most of all to share this wonderful, under-appreciated genre and encourage others to do the same. Elena is producer, artistic director and co-music director for THE FLAVOR OF SPAIN™, an ongoing multimedia concert series which entertains while educating about the rich and extensive genre of Spanish art song. As a mezzo-soprano, she sings a wide variety of genres and styles, both as a soloist and as an enthusiastic ensemblist. As an opera singer, her focus is on the full lyric mezzo French, Italian and verismo repertoire. She is particularly dedicated to Spanish art song, as well as jazz standards and musical theater. Also a classical pianist, Elena plays jazz flute, was once a harpist, and occasionally composes. Whatever the genre, she wants the audience to be inspired and thoroughly entertained. To further her intention to bring healing through music, Elena hosts THE MUSIC SALON™ every first Tuesday of the month to provide a haven for creative artists to share their art among colleagues and receive support in their creative process. Other upcoming projects of ELENA GRECO MULTIMEDIA PRODUCTIONS™ include CONCERTS FOR HEALING™, a concert series focusing on issues of health and ecology, uplifting and entertaining through beautiful music while educating about these important issues, and OPERA REALE™, simple, affordable and unusual multimedia productions of great opera with the finest local singers and musicians, focusing on expressing the composer’s music at the highest level, entertaining and inspiring the audience, and fostering creative development for the singers and musicians.|
|Richard Gordon. Richard Gordon is an accomplished coach and performer of Spanish art song. He is fluent in Spanish, has performed this genre extensively, and often works with Teatro Nacional Sucre in Ecuador. He is also co-music director and arranger for THE FLAVOR OF SPAIN™ and a frequent accompanist for THE MUSIC SALON™.Originally from Wyoming, Richard’s diverse musical career has ranged from conducting and coaching opera in the Alaskan tundra to performing solo piano concerts in the jungles of Africa. As conductor/accompanist he toured with Met diva Patrice Munsel and film star Jane Powell, and he has accompanied many of opera’s luminaries. His associations with opera companies include Ecuador’s Teatro Nacional Sucre, Anchorage Opera, Washington (D.C.) Opera, New Orleans Opera, Pusan (Korea) Grand Opera, St. Louis Opera and Chautauqua Opera. Equally at home in musical theater, he has conducted national tours and has been associated with Goodspeed Opera, Playwrights Horizons and Phillip Glass Ensemble, and with many well-known popular singers such as Audra McDonald, Kevin Kline, David Cassidy and Linda Ronstadt. He has served on the faculties of the University of Liberia (Africa), Southern Methodist University and the American Musical & Dramatic Academy. As guest artist, he has conducted performances or led masterclasses in body awareness for singers at Westminster Choir College, Shenyang Conservatory (China) and Dalien Music Conservatory (China), among other institutions. Also a vocal coach and arranger, Richard has a special gift for bringing out the very best in singers and instrumentalists.|