THE MUSIC SALON™
THE MUSIC SALON™ is a different kind of performance, and we need a different kind of pianist to support our singers and instrumentalists. The pianist who plays for the SALON is extremely important in providing the foundation for the group, not only with their musical and accompanying skills, but with their attitude and feeling.
THE MUSIC SALON provides an audience and community of fellow artists who are committed to accessing one’s deepest creative selves without judgment or egocentric motives. We welcome musicians of any instrument or genre, but are particularly supportive of the needs of singers.
I began THE MUSIC SALON because I wanted to provide a place for performers to perform for each other in a relaxed setting that promoted creativity. Also, as I mention at the start of every Salon, I want to provide a place for community, something that is often difficult to find in the performing world. Each Salon consists of approximately two hours of music, followed by refreshments and time for conversation and networking.
Requirements for THE MUSIC SALON™ pianist:
- Comfortable accompanying classical, musical theater and American songbook
- Excellent sightreading skills
- Proficient at supporting singers and instrumentalists well by following their breathing, phrasing and tempi
- Must have a kind, supportive, non-judgmental attitude toward the singers and musicians
- Should have a commitment to creative expression, both their own and others’
- Korg 88-key digital keyboard, Roland KC-60 keyboard amp, 2 keyboard benches, metronome
- We meet on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
- Dress is casual and comfortable; jeans are fine.
- The Music Salon meets on the first Sunday of every month from 3:00-5:00 pm.
- Compensation is $120.
- You are welcome and encouraged to play piano repertoire of your own. The SALON is a good place for previewing concert material and for exploring your own creative boundaries.
- The pianist is an essential and extremely important part of THE MUSIC SALON™ and is treated respectfully by everyone.
- You’re welcome and encouraged to stay after the performance segment for refreshments and conversation to get acquainted with the performers. You will meet wonderful singers and instrumentalists who might be interested in your services in the future.
- You will experience playing in a unique, relaxed and supportive environment, and have a lot of fun!
If you are interested in joining us, or know of a pianist who might be, you are warmly invited to let me know by emailing me.